Kate Rigg Kulturefuk

I, the polymorphous perverse subculture vulture known as Kate Rigg, am getting too old to remember my own sordid and trashy stories. I'm blogging so that my future self can be a voyeur into my own voyeuristic dips into culture. Kulturefuk math: Gumption=access, I may not last long on this tasting spree in the world of kulturefuk, but for now, as they say at a vogueing competition: It's ON.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Fireceness at Soho House ALL SUMMER LONG


Who the fricking frik has time to blog? I mean really??!!!
I am so super duper behind I am gonna have to backtrack to august now. SHIT.
OK so real fast here are some pics from the couture runways we did at Soho House every wednesday night. Next year bigger and BETTER. I ended up hosting the last few coz, well, ya know. That first pic is me with drag legend and ex-con Flotilla DeBarge and our music Director slash genius in residence Lance Hornewho happens to be my favorite emmy winning composer in an Alexander McQueen suit. we did not pay retail. What am I crazy?
From the Calypso Show model Ash who herself is an extremely good party crasher






PARTY CRASH TIP #98: Be a model






(all walk for Diane Von Furstenberg on the rooftop runway)


Tiffany valentine is on fire on the runway!




PARTY CRASH TIP #99: You have to sort of be aware what couture looks like at a bare minimum. Sometimes clothes SAVE you. I was crashing a Junior Vasquez birthday party at the now dead and gone Tunnel in 1999 (the kind which STARTS at 6am-- seriously) and the door bitch was giving my friend grief and we were listed under HER name. So i sidle up, and go really are you sure? and He/she goes is that Dolce? And I was like, uhm, yeah I just got it . (strange mumu outfit that looks way better on the rack than it does on me but definitely 90s Dolce and Gabbana.) and I shit you not he she goes, "That is fierce. Ok, anyone wearing Dolce gets in." and in we went. SO YA NEVA know. I did not pay retail for that either. I resent retail and I also resent fake bargains.
Know the difference and lap it up when you see a bargain.

this one is me talking backtage to Brady Mc Donald principal dancer with Mark Morris Group and Javi Ninja of legendary house of Ninja who performed the preshow for Ungaro.



PARTY CRASH TIP #89 Bring cool people. Guess what cool people are often not snobby. Benny and Javi Ninja are uber cool scenesters in NYC and Benny is notorious from his vogue career and America's Next Top MOdel. Javi is just plain wildly talented. Brady is my old classmate from Juilliard and one of the top modern dancers in the world. I promise you, if you swaggered up to them in the correct manner, knew something or someone in common and had cool things to offer them (sobe party tix, hookup to a photographer, invite to a weird poetry reading where they could perform etc) they would not act like dicks. Even if you bought them a drink and said whoo let's dance they would be into it. Bribery works. Friendliness works. Appreciating what people do works. And THEN. Bring them to whatever thing you are crashing or only marginally invited to and let THEM do the sweet talking. OR just stand there looking cool while you convince door bitchery to let you in.

this is brady and javi on stage. the song was smooth criminal it was fabulousss.

I got more. I spent a few weeks chilling with those ninja boys and re-firing up my friendship with Brady. The other thing about being fearless about talking to those you think are cooler than you is then when it sticks (and honey dont even sweat it -- you WILL get blown off often-- but it is worth it for the times it sticks, for when it does, your world of ideas and colors and friends and experiences opens up and it keeps opening and opening the more you say yes to things that are new and interesting and challenging and intimidating. Risk being told no. A lot. a hundred nos are nothing. One yes is a doorway to parts of you (and parties) you never knew existed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home